Tuesday, January 29, 2008

3 outta 5 ain't bad...

The students are back. Most of 'em anyways. Thought I'd crash a campus center or two, bring along my laptop and see where I could find a hotspot, and maybe get online.

After signing up with a temp agency in Noho, I walked up the hill along Route 9 to Smith College. (By the way, I didn't open up my laptop the other day at Smith as implied in a few posts down -- was just setting up an amusing scenario -- hokay, J? It coulda been funny, but Nooooo!)

So I'm at Smith a little after 1. A gray day, cold, wintery, sorta like how the Buckinghams sang it: Kind Of A Drag. And when the food caf wouldn't take my debit card, I was just a little more bummed. And when I couldn't get online, I said I'm outta there.

Stopped off at the house and ate my salad, which I paid good cash for after all that. Finished and then got back into the car to head over to UMass. Parked it in the garage. And it was still gray and drab, and most of my favorite haunts, i.e., the Coffee Shop, the Hatch, the Study Lounge opposite the Blue Wall were either dismantled, non-existent, or closed. Ok, the Blue Wall was open, but it was overlit and the tables were slow getting themselves cleaned.

Goddamn! This place has changed. So I left.

Drove to South Hadley. Mt. Holyoke College and to Blanchards, its Campus Center. Now this place is cozy. Got online too. Married a girl from here once. Might do it again. I mean they're cuter than the Smithies.

Oop! Back to work!

2 comments:

VV said...

Snark

Barking Up Trees said...

wacca wacca...