Friday, September 28, 2007

flashback...

Sox fans: Good seats available: Just $495 a pair

Which reminded me of senior year, Somerville High, in '77. L'il bro, he a frosh at B.C. High, & I decided to play hooky, first time in my life, to go to opening day at Fenway. Bleacher seats: $3.00 a pop! I kid u not!

This, of course was just after the Sox signed one of the first free agents right after the reserve clause was overturned: Bill Campbell, state-of-the-art closer, formerly of the Minnesota Twins.

A gorgeous day as I recall, Cleveland in town, Dennis Eckersley starting for the Tribe. And y'know, I can't even recall who the Sox gave Cleveland for the Eck, but I do remember the Sox trading Eck to the Cubs for Bill Buckner, but that's another insane story.

Anyhoo! Bleachers! Fenway Pahk! Opening day!

Sign on the back wall: "Sell Campbell! Bring back $1.50 bleachers!"

No comments: