Sunday, August 20, 2006

roadtrip '06 - day 1



Day 2, 9:06 a.m.: I will have more later, but the nephew came out of his meditative state and we're to breakfast. Suffice it to say I made it safely to Yosemite via Denver (see below) and Reno (see above). And by the way, this place, Yosemite, is everything it's cracked up to be.

Day 1 (unedited from airport terminal):

Greetings from Denver… my watch reads 10:30 a.m., my flight to reno is scheduled for 9:30 a.m., so I calculate I’ve got about an hour before boarding… confused.. ? I was for a second, -- eastern time, that is…

I Left dulles around 6:30, requiring my rousing myself at 3:30, and driving to the economy parking many furlongs from the terminal… what the hell, it’’s $9 a day to keep it there and I am on a budget…

Denver’s airport is decidedly newer and more vast than dulles – emphasis on the “dull”, not unlike a shiny, art deco style mall with lots of natural light… it’s overcast here, and the fog, I now understand are actually clouds – we’re in the freakin’ mountains here, not that I can see them with all the cumulosity about… pity, I well remember the sierra nevadas and not so much the rockies…

I dig the flat moving treads that run the length of the terminals, people either pretend, or not, to be george jetson walking astro, or whatever they call their rolling travel bags (jane – stop this crazy thing!!)… I avail myself of the treads, I don’t know my way around here and expediting to my gate first thing is deemed wise, and then, if I have any time to kill, I can either mosey about and goof on the girls or sit here and say hello to all you fine people…

I discovered dulles doesn’t have interenet wireless, although Denver does, but it costs through the nose, and again I’m on a budget.... so I’m keying this on a word file and will transfer when I get my next connection…

But back to those girls…

As I traveled from concoursea B to A, I watched in passing several grown men in what I can only describe as cowboy hats… I dunno maybe you could call ‘em Stetsons or some other brand, but they -- the cowboys, not the hats (and don’t get me started on the etymology of “cowpoke”) -- looked fresh off the rodeo or out of some oil co. boardroom,… at first I was amused, but grew to appreciate the look.; and after all, I am in Denver – they wear those things a lot around here, or so I see when watching the broncos on a given Sunday…

But it was only a few moments later when a gaggle of young, pretty co-eds – had t’be – flocked past, each of them quite charming, and each of them wearing cowboy hats… think debra winger in urban cowboy… definitely works for me…

Oop.. ! we’re boarding… gotta fly… !

1 comment:

Spared said...

I may be relocating to Denver soon but someone said I'd be bored stupid there.