Wednesday, November 16, 2005

"Christians," Says You?

"Rat bastards," says I:

But these days, Rolla and the 185 other students who are part of the station are learning a tough lesson about the ways of the Federal Communications Commission. That's because a move by WAVM to increase its power signal backfired. The FCC ruled that, when the power increase was proposed, other broadcasters would be allowed to bid on the frequency. This month, the agency tentatively awarded the frequency to Living Proof Inc., a religious broadcaster based in Bishop, Calif., that plans to broadcast out of Lunenburg.

This is a dated story somewhat, but I had the link sitting in my email inbox for too long and I had to comment on it before I could finally delete the thing.

So: Being a Massachusetts boy with an extensive background in radio, including a stint at WAVA.FM, the Paleo-Christian station in Washington (I know, but I was desperate for the gig. If it's any consolation, Mark, the gay board-op, and I attempted an insurgency dubbed "Anti-social Darwinists"; good for a few yucks, but short-lived alas!), which allows me, or so I like to think anyway, a well-earned antipathy for "Christian" broadcasting, this story cuts a little too close to the bone.

I cannot overstate my contempt for the FCC and the way it operates, serving no other purpose today than to take direction from uber criminal Karl Rove in foregoing regulation but instead greasing the skids for corporate media's voracious anti-trust consolidation -- in essence, ripping off the public from what was supposed to be their airwaves.

The darkest aspect of it all? To keep us all from knowing what is really going on. And the internet is next on their list of acquisitions, folks!

I mean, this kinda crap just steams my giblets.

But -- God bless 'em! -- Maynard High ain't givin' up without a battle.

So lend a letter, hey?

No comments: