Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Government Ain't the Problem Here

As I'll be spending Christmas in Maine, this story caught my eye:
Dubbed H20 for ME, the group's 20-cent-per-gallon tax would apply to only those companies that extract more than 500,000 gallons a year for containerized resale. They looked to an Alaska fund for guidance, in which oil extraction fees are put into publicly owned trusts. Funds from such a trust in Maine would be invested in the state's future, Wilfong says.
After five years of Republican rape & pillage [cough! - Enron/Halliburton/tax cutters!], it's downright refreshing to see THERE IS A ROLE FOR GOVERNMENT!! And if it's pocket-picking you want, Mr. CEO & members of the board, I'd say you fuckers are long overdue for ponying up.

Of course this'll mean my bottle of Poland Spring will get a mark-up. But easy does it, fellahs, I can always buy Evian!

Now that's a free market!!

No comments: