Thursday, June 07, 2007

maybe i've been doing it wrong all these years...

Dopey poll at the bottom of this link to DailyKos, "How many fingers do you use when you type?" -- with the options being "Two," "Ten," "Somewhere between 2 and ten," and "Not sure."

Out of 5521 responses, 51% said "Ten"; 38% said "Somewhere between 2 and ten"; 9% said "Two"; and 1% said "Not sure".

Let's throw out that last response because at least 61 people are blooming idiots because they don't know if they use "1 finger or more." In fact, let's just give them one finger.

I believe those who said "Two" because I used to be one of them before I took a typing class in high school way back when. Of course, even then, I would use 1 or 2 more when I grew confident with the locations of the keys.

I answered "Somewhere between 2 and ten." I learned to touch-type and have been timed over the years by a variety of employment agencies at somewhere between 70 & 87 wpm w/0-5 errors. Funny thing, though: as one deemed "highly proficient" at typing, I use all eight of my non-opposing digits -- one-thru-four on each hand -- while using my right thumb solely to hit the space-bar. In all these years, I don't ever recall using my left thumb -- for anything... uhm, other than to jam up my ass whenever I am made to watch Dubya bullshit his way out of a wet paper bag while expecting us to believe it.

So all I can say to the 51% responders: WTF?

----------
Update: Okay! I learned to type on a manual, so bear with me. After which, I graduated to an electric typewriter, then selectric, then wheel-writers, and finally word processors. Computer functions -- Aye! There's the rub. "Ctrl," "Alt," etc. -- one might, at some point, use the left freakin' thumb.

But is that really typing??

No comments: