Monday, May 14, 2007

'bout goddamned time...

Reid To Allow Vote On Feingold Measure To End Iraq War
The staffer claims that the Senate leadership was going back and forth all weekend on whether to allow this vote. "I think there are probably some people who would prefer not to see a vote on this," the staffer says. "It forces people to take a stand."
----------
Update I: John Edwards may not get the nomination, but he's serving a purpose today:

"I would actually go further than Reid-Feingold and use the funding authority, not just to set an ultimate deadline, but to force an immediate withdrawal of 40-50,000 troops, followed by a complete withdrawal in about a year. But using the funding authority to bring this war to an end is exactly the right thing to do. Every Senator who believes this war is wrong and wants to end it should support Reid-Feingold."
Which means you, Hillary & Barack. "Take a stand!"

----------
Update II: Obama heard me:

"Tomorrow, I expect cloture votes on two other proposals. One is the Reid-Feingold plan, which would begin a withdrawal of troops in 120 days and end all combat operations on April 1. The other is Senator Levin's proposal, which would create standards and benchmarks for additional funding.

"I will support both, not because I believe either is the best answer, but because I want to send a strong statement to the Iraqi government, the President and my Republican colleagues that it's long past time to change course."

Is it me or does Hillary always seems loathe to climb aboard before the train starts moving?

----------
Update III: Oops! There she is!

"Tomorrow, I will cast my vote to send the President a clear message: Democrats are united in fighting to change course, redeploy our troops out of Iraq, and end this war as soon as possible.

"When the Senate votes on motions to allow debate on both the Feingold-Reid and Reed-Levin Amendments, I will vote for cloture on both. I do so because we, as a united party, must work together with clarity of purpose and mission to begin bringing our troops home and end this war."

1 comment:

Naahm Deplume said...

Ohmigod, it forces people to take a stand. How can Reid continue to have it both ways if he has to actually TAKE A STAND???

the horror, the horror. . .