Saturday, April 21, 2007

catching abuzz...


Mouths agape as the crowd goes Cuckoo for Coco Crisp in his failed attempt to shag A-Rod's 2nd homer of the game -- Photo courtesy of Boston Globe
--------------------

As in: This town is ABuzz over the utterly improbable comeback last night against Mariano & the dreaded Yanquis.

I paid my tab in the 6th after the middle of the order -- Big Papi, Manny the Pan'y, et al. -- dribbled weak grounders, and Boston looked headed to certain defeat against a fairly strong-looking Andy Pettite. I was that certain it was post-toasties for the Carmine Hose in Green.

Here's where Heisenberg's "Uncertainty Principle" kicks in -- the principle that merely observing something changes that which is observed: If I stayed and had another drink, there would've been no comeback. That I left, however, the Sox pulled off another Miracle. So I missed the big series of events in the 8th. It wasn't until Christy text-messaged me with nothing more than "Woo-Hoo!"

I call her. I'm like, Whaaa... ? "They came back!" she says.

I run to the bar downstairs to catch Okijima closing it out in the 9th. WTF?? Where's Pap? On the shelf for fear of overworking him, another patron tells me. Aww Jeez!

So it's nail-biting time watching Oki pitch to A-Rod, he, already with 2 homers and a double, has a another opportunity with a runner on base and only one out. The bar is throbbing with fear & expectation.

Soft-liner to 2nd, A-Rod FAILS to deliver!! LOVE that Samurai spirit, babeeee!!

And when Oki punched out Thompson to end it, the bar, the whole town -- nay, The Red Sox Nation -- commenced to Rockin' with a capital Rock-a-billy Boogie!!

Beats hell out of watching the Nat'ls at RFK!!

3 comments:

Naahm Deplume said...

ohh yeaaahhh!!!!

Barking Up Trees said...

what, the sox, or my pic of scarlett j... ?

Naahm Deplume said...

BOTH!!!