Monday, April 23, 2007

the lost weekend...

I had planned on posting sooner on this, but got slammed at work today. Meanwhile, I'm bolstered by Naahm's encouragement. Ergo...

When I heard the Sox hadn't swept the Yankees at Fenway since 1990, I didn't believe it. But then I was recalling the more recent and most significant sweep in the history of the Carmine Hose: the ALCS circa 2004! Okay, it was a 7-game series and the Yankees took the first three. But can't we call it a sweep of four games subsequent?

What? Okay, two were at Fenway and then we bearded the Yanquis in their den -- The House that Ruth Built. Ruth, the cat our forefathers couldn't help but have had sold out from under them, literally for a song, by a Broadway producer, who coincidentally owned the Red Sox. And I'm proud to say I have not yet gone to see No No, Nanette!

What I did see last night, however, and I'm still buzzing internally about it, was Back2Back2Back2Back Jack!!!

I was sitting in Uno's at Harvard Square getting properly lubed on T&Ts (easy on the Tonic, thank you!), with a yammering oldster on my right and a retrospective Asian sort, whom I didn't presume was Japanese just because Dice-K was pitching, on my left. Every homer prompted an even louder "OHHHHH!" in unison. Hi-5s and fist-bumps (don't ask if you don't know) everywhere. The place was rockin'. The bartender had a small ship's bell above the barwell, which he clanged happily on each Jack by Messrs. Ramirez, Drew, Lowell and Varitek. ESPN, also appropriately, replayed the close-up of Sox GM Theo mouthing what could only be "Oh! My! God!" in between the replays of the homers. We all laughed each time too. Good times.
Today the Sox, with the superior pitching, are four games up on New York, they with the touted superior line-up, last nights events notwithstanding.
I call this the lost weekend because I spent wayyy too much money enjoying the festivities in Southie and Harvard Square and back again respectively. Way I figure it, though, it could be worse. I could've spent all that money rooting for the Yankees.

----------
Photo courtesy of IMDB.com -- Ray Milland, from "The Lost Weekend" (1945), must've been a Yankee fan.

5 comments:

Naahm Deplume said...

underneath uno's in Hahvahd Squayah??? That is my old watering hole, you usurping scum.

Moreover, it is the only one left. The Ha'Penny, Bow&Arrow and Boathouse have all gone to grass.

Is Grendel's Den still there at least???

Barking Up Trees said...

http://www.grendelsden.com/

Barking Up Trees said...

you forgot to mention the wursthaus, somB...

Naahm Deplume said...

aptly named, the Wursthaus is

Barking Up Trees said...

was...