Thursday, September 01, 2005

Amy Goodman is Goddess

Woke up, fell outta bed... Dragged a comb across my head...

Arrived alive but late for work this morning. Let it be a lesson, never reset your snooze alarm fresh out of slumber because you may fuck it up. And I did. Fortunately the internal clock finally kicked in, and only 45 minutes after the digital on the bedstand was supposed to.

The upside of running late for me is I get to listen to Democracy Now and The War & Peace Report with Amy Goodman. After the last few years of suffering the spirit-numbing pro-Bushwar cheerleading that is Clear Channel MisCommunications, they who own no fewer than 8 radio stations here in the nation's capital, and over 2000 nationwide (to understand the significance is to know that at one time, no company/corporation/individual could own more than 1 TV station & 1 radio & 1 newspaper at a time in a single city -- y'get me?), I finally stopped listening to the news while driving when the Repos started hacking away at public broadcasting. (Did I hear right? Did All Things Considered actually replace Daniel Schorr with Jonah Goldberg? Next thing you'll tell me is Bill O'Reilly is my biological father -- AIYEE!!)

So I'm running late, right? By 8:00 a.m., I'm supposed to be on the subway and 2/3rds of the way into town. But this morning I wasn't; I was in my car on 123 queuing up to get onto 66 to get into another mile-long que to Vienna (fun stuff, that bumber2bumper traffic). But today I got to crank on WPFW 89.3 and catch the beginning of Amy Goodman's best-in-the-business reportage. Only through her do you get a full measure of how well Dubya hasn't been handling the Katrina devastation. By the way, do you think the Houston Champagne Unit's been mobilized yet?

That Pacifica Radio plays in only 5 cities in this country is an outrage. The good news is the Counterinsurgency in Radio has opened on another front and the allied forces have landed on the beach.

D'be nice to know when the weather will clear sufficiently so the larger planned invasion on the 24-hour TV news front can commence. Maybe CNN can be induced to return to its Turner roots and zag, now that MSNBC's zig to be FauxNews-lite is complete. One might think Time-Warner, assuming their empty scrotums aren't still being tugged on by the Repo-controlled FCC (and what're those chances?), would realize there's money to be made off 50% of us jonesing badly for real investigative news coverage. At least Comedy Central gets it.

America needs a Progressive TV news network. Al Gore, George Soros, et al., call your offices.

No comments: