Sunday, September 04, 2005

Break Up The Red Sox

Jumbo Shrimp Update: File this one under "Christ, Jesus H."

Seems the Bosox are the most evangelically religious team in the major leagues. And that about cuts it for me. Up 'til now I'd been following the Hose religiously (huhhuh, you said "religiously") since 1970. I was 10 when the Old Man took me, my sister and my little brother to Memorial Stadium in Bal'mer. Jim Palmer v. Sonny Siebert. Every time Carl Yastrzemski was announced as he approached the batter's box, you could the boys - "Yay!" - throughout the leftfield grandstands. Sister had a crush on Palmer's picture, and this was a few years before he modeled in those underwear ads.

I knew something was Screwy-from-St. Louey during the playoffs two years ago, the Grady days, when Trot Nixon hit a walkoff against the A's. "I'd like to thank the Lord Jesus Christ... " >click< Beddy Bye!!

Still, ya' gotta love that obscure pitcher Mike Myers doesn't reflexively push the jibber-jabber:
The Sox evangelicals said they often have been asked if they believe God wanted them to win the World Series rather than the Yankees or the Cardinals.

''I don't know what he thinks," Myers said. ''If I knew that, I'd be God."

I almost came down with the bug (not unlike the time I actually did drink the kool-aid freshman year at UMass, but it lasted only a week) when I thought I saw Jesus playing centerfield and leading a miracle comeback against the Yankees. But dingbat Curt Schilling cooled me out right proper when he went stumping for Dubya in New Hampshire last October. Bloody sock and all.

Uhm, Curt? What Would Jesus NOT Do?

Now you know why this team is called "The Idiots."

No comments: