Saturday, September 10, 2005

I Love Alison Krauss

Visiting Vermont in August, I got the chance to enjoy riding the country roads through the hills & valleys, play a little golf, sample some seriously fine home-cooked cuisine, and the opportunity to hear once more Alison Krauss & Union Station on their Live album. "Maybe the best album I've ever heard," said no less an authority than this fellow.

His enthusiasm pleased me as the CD was my present to him last Christmas. He played it as we drove along the roads, and I remember smiling, that is until I frowned. The dub I had saved on the hard drive back home was lost when the system crashed for keeps.

"I want it back!" I complained.

His look was a familiar one, as though he thought his little brother was once again in earnest but nonetheless daft.

"No!"

Today saw a gorgeous afternoon in Old Town, and I strolled along King Street, past its many art galleries and restaurants, down toward the river. The street was closed to motorized traffic for the art exhibitions and music & food vendors could then cater to the milling throngs of pedestrians. Old Town has these open market fairs, like, once a month. Is it any wonder why I love it so. I didn't know about today's until I happened upon it. Gravy! A good walk unspoiled.

By the time I got to the Torpedo Factory, I impulsively made a right turn on Union Street and walked into Olsson's. I had it planned ever since I returned from Vermont, and today, it was finally determined, was the day. I picked up the CD and for my very own this time.

Listening to it now, eh?

No comments: