Thursday, September 01, 2005

Sidebar, Yerronner!

The Know It All Fantasy Football League had their 13th draft last night. "Gon & Dreg" drafted pretty well methinks. Will keep you posted.

But being a lad homesick for his native New England, it occurred to me that, while at this time, it is Great! -- just Great!! -- to be a Boston sports fan this century, this business of fandom carries with it a curious pathology, a mania. To live & die with professional athletes, at an adult level, is patently absurd. And yet, you'll note my links list over on the right has the sports page right near the top (after I've gratified my ego, of course). What I'm discovering as strange, however, is the realization that my passion for the Red Sox has waned correspondingly with my increased passion for the Patriots!

But why? They're both defending champions. And that may be it. The Sox aren't supposed to be champions. They were the forever-to-be star-crossed losers cursed by the mighty Babe. It was a romance with the Olde Towne Team we carried, for they were us, stiffs just going to work every day, grinding it out only to hit the wall in the end. I loved the Red Sox. And I still do, but the lust is gone. It ain't the same.

My love for the Patriots, however, is far more visceral. The need to knock heads, to push hard back when pushed. Then to elegantly circumnavigate resistance with the pass, or by running through or around or away from it. At the end of the day, you're bloodied and bruised and yet you feel great. The endorphins are still pulsing.

And since the Patriots do all of that better than anybody else, anywhere, and, if they win it again this year, anytime, then -- Man!! -- I just can't get enough of 'em!

Go Pats!!

No comments: