Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Firedoglake

Really love the work Jane is doing. That she can piss off Deborah Howell and scare supposedly liberal Senators into doing the right thing, all in a week... well, she's just gotta have my baby.

Unless:
Okay, so it's obvious there is cloture today. It sucks. But it happens in the big leagues that sometimes you lose an inning. That doesn't mean you stop playing, it just means you take a deep breath and go back to the dugout for some fresh plays.
Agh! Where to begin.

My dear Jane, your attempt here at a sports analogy, apparently using baseball as your primary reference, is, uhm, distracting. See, even in basketball or football, "plays" are almost never -- ok, never -- described as "fresh," like they're fish or fruit cocktail. As for "plays" in baseball, a manager might signal the third base coach to signal the batter to put on the squeeze play, or he may, from the dugout, waive an outfielder over toward the line or the infield in, depending upon the situation, but a team doesn't retire to the dugout to huddle up for plays that are as "fresh" as Honus Wagner. Well maybe in T-ball.

And I don't think I've ever contemplated "innings lost" before. Innings aren't counted toward the final outcome. We can lose a "game" definitely, or even a "round" (as I believe you meant to say there), but then that's the sweet science of it.

Your energy and analytical talent, as it addresses your passion, politics, is clearly evident from the reading of your blog, and which is why this dissonant note wrankled. No biggie, but it just, like, totally weirded out the junkie in me. Such is the beauty of sport, I suppose.

Of course, I would bet you'd be able to find similarly lame analogies, which I may've imparted on this site; or perhaps a grammatical or syntactical error, or a spelling mishap or thirteen.

All I can say to that is... touche!

No comments: